POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB) : Re: Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 06:09:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ilthanalg colonist ship - area light problem (JPG, 28 KB)
From: Yadgar
Date: 13 Jun 2001 13:16:46
Message: <3B27A02C.C7CFE4D3@ndh.net>
Hi Tracers!

"Bob H." schrieb:

> If a CSG difference is used then yes, it matters that the cutaway object
> isn't textured after the previous object to be cut is textured.  If
> clipped_by is used it wouldn't matter.  An untextured object is blank, or
> rather appears opaque black, so to leave it textureless (i.e. without the
> parent CSG object texture) is sure to be conspicious.
>
> Check into using clipped_by I think might be the answer if you're using
> difference now.
> This rendering still looks a lot like coincident surfaces but have you tried
> using more sources for a higher sampling in those area lights? 2x4 or 2x8
> might be needed, it could be that 1x4 causing the problem in part or whole.
>
> Bob H.

Now I've tried clipped_by (in the lamp body object within looks_like) AND 2x8
lights - and here's the result!
Gradually, I begin to ask myself how bad these things could go wrong... :-(((

The two pale blue spotted rectangles separated by a narrow strip of dark wall
obviosly are the box I liked to have cut from the lamp body - but are you sure
that clipped_by really substitutes difference rather than intersection (the PoV
Manual describes it as equivalent to intersection!)?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'spaceship_area_light_2x8_clipped_by.jpg' (28 KB)

Preview of image 'spaceship_area_light_2x8_clipped_by.jpg'
spaceship_area_light_2x8_clipped_by.jpg